Beauty/fashion blog is a niche that’s fun and exciting. Although this topic is constantly changing, it can still offer plenty of rewards, such as being connected to a dynamic industry in the world.
There’s a lot you can gain from creating this type of blog.
It doesn’t matter if you’re providing jewelry giveaways or earning money through marketing scheme.
A fashion blog can provide you with many benefits.. Fashion and beauty bloggers can earn a decent income, especially if they hookup with fashion companies.
They can easily connect with the best retailers in the business allowing them to earn additional income.
In addition to the profit you’ll receive from writing in this niche, you’ll be exposed to the latest fashion/beauty trends.
In that way, you can customize your appearance and match the hottest trend for a certain season.
By starting a career as a writer in this niche, you can follow the element of style, elegance, and grace used by your favorite fashionista.
If these things interest you, then you’d be glad to know that creating a beauty blog is not that difficult, as long as you have the desire to tap into the amazing world of fashion.
3 Steps to Creating A Fashion & Beauty Blog:
- Getting a domain name and a web host
- Install WordPress
- Make Your Blog Pretty
Plus tips on how to run a successful blog!
How to Start A Fashion & Beauty Blog
Step #1: Get a domain name & a web host
The domain name will be your site’s name. For example, my domain name is Twelveskip.com. You need a “web host” to keep your blog up and running, and we’re using BlueHost (a company that I trust and recommend) for that.
- To register for a domain name and a host, go to BlueHost and enter the domain name you want, here’s an example:
- Now enter your info and choose an account plan. You may start with the 12-month price. You can also uncheck the other add-ons (such as Backup pro, SiteLock, Search Engine Jumpstart). I recommend getting the domain privacy protection though as it prevents your personal info from being displayed to the public.
Tips for coming up with an awesome domain name: combine some of your favorite words that have something to do with fashion/blogging. You can also ask yourself these: What is your personality like? What are your favorite words? What do you desire? What does excite you?
Step #2: Install WordPress
Once you’ve finished the registration, you’ll need to install WordPress – a CMS (Content Management System) that will help you manage your content such as adding a new post, deleting, modifying, updating content and beautifying your blog!
Here’s how to install WordPress:
- Login to your BlueHost account. Select “Hosting” and click on the “WordPress” logo. Here’s an example shot:
- Hit the “Install” button.
- On the next page, select your domain, then hit the “Check Domain” button.
- Check the option “I have read the terms and conditions..” and click “Install Now”.
- Now wait for the progress to finish, which takes around 2-5 minutes. Once completed, click “View Processes” then click “View Credentials”.
- A new page will come up with your login details. Click the “Admin URL” and login with your username and password.
YAY. The setup is now complete! You’ve officially built your own blog. Welcome to the world of blogosphere. Super easy right? Now let’s move on to the step #3 to make your theme pretty.
Step #3: Make Your Blog Pretty
Keep in mind that you’ll be running a fashion/beauty blog. Thus, your template must reflect your niche. You could go for a minimalist theme or a colorful template.
Here’s a good example for colorful & fun one:
You must keep its layout clean and organized. Make sure that your readers can easily find what they’re looking for. And if you’ll be using photos, you’ve to use pictures that are of high-quality. They must also be appealing that’ll surely define your fashion/beauty interest.
Visit popular fashion websites to see how they organize theirs.
Where To Get WordPress Themes
- For free wordpress themes, go to http://wordpress.org/themes/
- For premium WordPress themes, check these Feminine WordPress Themes. I also recommend: Themeforest / Elegant Themes
How to install a theme:
Go to “Appearance” > “Themes” > “Add New” > “Upload Theme”
YAY! You’re officially done my fashionista friend!
8 Tips on Building a Successful Fashion & Beauty Blog:
1. Take Attractive Photos
How do you exactly shot great photos?! Although cameras are good investment, you won’t really need to buy expensive ones to attract people especially if you’re just starting out.
Just play around and be creative! Make sure you take clear and decent photos. Remember, techniques are more important than equipment.
Here are some tips for making attractive & interesting photos:
- Use a good lightning to take clear and fresh-looking photos or go outside for a natural light. Some great examples (Photo Credit: Chriselle Lim & Aimee):
- Find a decent background. Before you take photos, make sure you have a clean surroundings.
- Use editors to enhance your photos such as Photoshop, Pixelmator, iPhoto or Gimp or phone apps such as Instagram, Moldiv, Pixlromatic or Pic Stitch.
- Create a photo collage to combine different series of photos in one. Here’s an interesting example:
- Take photos using Knolling technique to show your stuff in details.
For more photography tutorials, visit digital-photography-school.com.
2. Be consistent
Regularly updating your site with quality content is the best way to grow your readership! Trust me.
Remember, not only people likes fresh content, but the search engines as well. So the more you update your blog, the higher the ranking you get thus the more people will love your site.
You can tell people that you publish new posts every Monday, Wednesday or Friday.
You must also discuss popular events that you can pick from social media news. You must be quick to react so you’ll receive an instant increase in traffic from people who want to read more about a particular topic.
How to stay consistent
- Write quality post at least 2-3 times a week.
- If you’re running out of topics, check your competitors, news sites, social media, or read magazines. For more ideas, read this article: Resources So You Won’t Run Out Of Topics.
3. Join communities to stay updated
If you do join a certain organization that tackles this topic, you need to make sure that you’re communicating with true trendy-minded individuals. Choose an organization that provides the latest information about the ins and outs of fashion blogging. Here’s how:
- Join active forum communities such as Michelle Phan, Make Up Forums, Make Up Talk, Specktra, Styleforum or Hypebeast.
- Network offline! Find events related related to your industry at Meetup.com.
- Join Facebook groups related to your niche.
4. Use Social Media to boost Exposure
- Add a social sharing button to your blog posts. Make your posts easy to spread by adding a social buttons to your posts. Take a look at the social buttons I’m using within this post, and when you hover on the images within this post, you can see those image sharers. That’s how I make my content easy to share. I am currently using SumoMe plugin for my social buttons + image sharer.
- Post your #OOTD (outfit of the day) or look of the day on Instagram, Pinterest & Tumblr and add details (including your site’s link) on the caption part. Don’t forget to add relevant tags so people can easily find you. You may also want to use photo collage to show your outfit or make up in different angles. See how Zoella’s look in full body and close-up:
- Use Facebook & Twitter to update your fans and followers about your new blog posts!
- Vlog on Youtube. Sharing useful tips and advices and have your site’s URL in the description part. Ask them to visit your site if they want more details.
- Join fashion communities, gain votes until you get in the front page and gain more exposures. Here are some popular ones: Pose, Chictopia, Lookbook
5. Attend a fashion show
If you can manage to attend a fashion show, then grab that chance. It’ll help you create a good content out of the show you’ve experienced. You’ll also have the chance to make communicate with other fashionista like you.
If you can make it to Fashion Week, then that’d be better. It’ll only show to your readers that you’re really serious about what you’re doing.
6. Go out and survey shopping malls
This will help you generate content and comments for your blog. You can hit the mall and try to find the most popular yet affordable garments from a well-known brand.
You can tell your readers where they can find the cheapest place to buy, say, Coach or Michael Kors bag.
While you’re out shopping, you must take your camera with you so you can document everything. Keep in mind that adding graphics to your post can further help your viewers in digesting what they’ve just read.
7. Have fun
Although it’s great that you take this “job” seriously, you must make sure that you’re having fun while you’re doing it. Enjoy the entire process of providing your readers with the latest fashion/beauty trends.
8. Read more
You should read a great blog or fashion/beauty magazine so you’ll be guided with what’s going on inside this niche. This is pretty obvious but some bloggers forget it, for some reason.
Running a blog that tackles beauty and fashion isn’t that difficult if you’ve the passion to do it. However, you must not expect that you’ll have wide readership overnight. It takes time to gain visitors. So be patient and let your inner fashionista shine.